Peter J. Flowers, Partner
Chicago Attorney Peter J. Flowers believes a hands-on approach is the only way to handle delicate cases involving serious injury and death.
A partner in the firm of Meyers & Flowers, Pete has represented countless families whose lives have been tragically changed because of medical malpractice, catastrophic injuries from workplace injuries and automobile accidents, and from defective products. He has also represented the victims and families of victims of nursing home abuse and of sexual abuse. His attention to the special needs of those clients comes from a strong sense of loyalty to them and a shared desire to assure no one else experiences their pain.
“As a lawyer, I live and breathe my client’s cases. Some of my best friends are my clients; people I still talk to, kids I still take care of on many different levels. This is different from a one-time injury that gets fixed and goes away; these are catastrophic events that forever tie you to your client. If you don’t get emotionally involved, you’re not properly representing them.”
This approach has earned Pete tremendous results and numerous honors over the years. He’s been named an Illinois Super Lawyer in the area of medical malpractice, and recognized as a Leading Lawyer in Illinois by his peers, a distinction earned by only 5% of the state’s lawyers. He is a member of both the Million Dollar Advocate Forum, for resolving many cases in excess of $1 million, and the elite Verdict Club Society, which includes top attorneys from around the United States.
Representing clients who have been injured by neglectful physicians, drug companies, medical device manufacturers and others requires a special mixture of compassion and unshakeable determination. As a respected Chicago attorney, Pete has earned his place among the city’s elite attorneys specializing in personal injury, wrongful death and medical malpractice. His many wins against multinational drug companies, insurance company mitigation legal teams and other formidable opponents have resulted in multiple awards by his peers.
Pete Flowers leaves nothing to chance during trial preparations, pre trial depositions and interviews. His trial prep team is meticulous in assembling documentary evidence, respected medical expert testimony and witnesses which all culminate in irrefutable proof that his clients deserve significant compensation for their injuries and losses.
Taking on difficult and complex cases is a challenge that many Chicago attorneys avoid due to the commitment of time and resources that these cases require. As a partner in one of the city’s top law firms, Pete Flowers has confronted many of the world’s largest medical device manufacturers, winning his clients meaningful settlements and awards. Cases involving medical issues must meet a high level of proof to overcome the generally held idea that medical doctors are trying to help their patients and that injuries and death are part of the process.
Knowing this, Pete has assembled a team of professionals fully capable of communication complex medical issues to judges and jury members who are not medically trained. This clear, focused approach to presenting his case is one of the many stellar traits that set him apart as a leading attorney among Chicago’s best medical malpractice advocates.
Wrongful death lawsuits are among the most emotional and sensitive legal actions conducted by an attorney. Surviving family members are distraught and must be treated with an understanding while obtaining the facts of the case. In Chicago, Meyers and Flowers has a formidable team of trial preparation professionals who can shield bereaved clients from having to directly confront doctors, hospital staff and insurance attorneys while the case progresses through the system.
Chicago Attorney Pete Flowers understand the anguish his clients are experiencing and vigorously prosecutes his client’s case so that the surviving members can move forward with their lives as soon as possible. Although a monetary award cannot bring back a loved one, Pete believes that by obtaining a meaningful financial settlement his clients will at least be relieved of financial stress.
Pete is an active member of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association and over the years has served in a number of leadership positions. Most notably, he was the organization’s president from 2009-2010. His tenure was marked by the organization's successful fight to protect the rights of patients. His writings during that time were widely distributed, and can be found archived here: http://www.iltla.com/
Born in Naperville in 1967, Pete’s roots in the community are long-standing, and include a strong place in his heart for children and those impacted by cancer. He actively supports a transitional home in Naperville that helps medically fragile children leave the hospital and return home to their families.
Pete received his undergraduate degree from Loyola University in 1989 and his law degree from DePaul University in 1992. That same year he was licensed to practice law in Illinois and U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. Pete is also admitted to practice pro hac vice in Massachusetts, Florida and other states.
Pete is a member of the Illinois State Bar Association, the American Bar Association, the DuPage County Bar Association, the Chicago Bar Association, the American Trial Lawyers Association, the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Association, and the International Society of Barristers.
Notable Cases and Results:
- $3 billion settlement on behalf of individuals injured by a defective hip replacement
- $56 million on behalf of individuals injured by another defective hip replacement
- $2.4 billion on behalf of individuals injured by a defective Diabetes drug
- $1.5 billion on behalf of individuals injured by a third defective hip replacement
- $200 million on behalf of 40 people killed in train explosion
- $24 million verdict on behalf of the family of a woman who suffered pulmonary arrest and permanent brain damage as a result of medical negligence - largest verdict in Kane County
- $2.8 million products liability settlement
- $5.9 million verdict on behalf of a motorcycle rider in Kane County, Illinois
- $4 million settlement in Kane County medical malpractice case
- $900,000.00 medical malpractice settlement in Lake County, Illinois
- $2 million medical malpractice verdict in Cook County, Illinois $11 million settlement on behalf of a severely disabled man who suffered spinal cord contusion $1.5 million settlement in Cook County, Illinois
- Multiple victims of sexual abuse receive settlements totaling over $3 million
- $1,010,000.00 wrongful death settlement in Federal Court
- $2 million settlement - truck accident in Chicago, Illinois
- $1.3 million settlement on behalf of college student killed by negligent truck driver
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 1992
DePaul University, J.D., 1992
Loyola University, 1989
Bar/Professional Association Involvement:
- Illinois State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- DuPage County Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- American Trial Lawyers Association
- Illinois Workers' Compensation Association
Awards; Honors; Distinctions:
- Mr. Flowers is a member of the Million Dollar Advocate Forum having resolved many cases in excess of $1 million