Each time a driver gets behind the wheel, they are taking responsibility for the safety of everyone else on the road, including other drivers, pedestrians, bikers and motorcyclists. When the driver acts in a careless or negligent way that puts others at risk and leads to serious injury or death, the driver should be held accountable and any victims deserve to be compensated.
If you have been seriously injured or lost a loved one due to a motor vehicle crash that was caused by careless or negligent behavior, you may be entitled to fair and just compensation. At Meyers, Flowers, Bruno & Herrmann our auto accident attorneys in Peru, will review your unique case and do everything within our power to ensure you recover the damages you deserve.
When you should file a lawsuit after a car accident
After a car accident, the victims who have suffered an injury or the loss of a loved one often wonder if they have grounds to sue. It’s important to note that you can only file a lawsuit and recover monetary compensation if you are able to prove each of the following three things:
- The responsible party was careless or negligent. For example, if the other driver crashed into your car because he was looking at his cell phone, that is considered negligent behavior.
- You suffered personal injury as a result of the negligence. You also need to be able to prove that the negligence directly caused your injury. For example, if you suffered whiplash, you need to be able to prove that the condition was caused by the car crash, and not another accident or event.
- You suffered losses and/or injuries. In order to file a lawsuit and recover compensation, you must also sustain injuries or losses, such as lost wages, pain and suffering, property damage, and/or medical bills.
How we determine who is legally at fault for your accident
It’s important to note that the other driver may not be the only party responsible for paying your damages. As some of the best accident attorneys Peru and the state of Illinois have to offer, we will make sure your case is comprehensively reviewed to determine what other variables may have caused the accident, and who else may be responsible. For example:
The other driver may be responsible.
The other driver may be responsible for paying your damages if he or she did not follow traffic signs, did not signal while turning, drove under or over the speed limit, ignored weather or traffic conditions, was under the influence of drugs or alcohol, changed lanes improperly or excessively, or passed improperly.
A bar or restaurant may be responsible.
If the driver was under the influence of alcohol, there is a chance that the bar or restaurant that served the driver may be held accountable if they irresponsibly served alcohol to an intoxicated patron.
The automobile manufacturer may be responsible.
If the car crash was caused due to defective brakes or an automobile defect, the manufacturer may be responsible for paying your damages.
The government may be responsible.
If the car crash was caused by malfunctioning traffic control signals, improper road signs or poor lighting, governmental entities may be responsible for paying your damages.
The average length of a car accident lawsuit
Each car accident lawsuit is unique. As such, the length of time it takes to resolve your case and obtain compensation depends on a variety of factors, including:
- How cooperative the insurance company is.
- If your case can be settled out of court or if it needs to go to trial. Cases settled out of court are generally shorter.
- The complexity of your case and whether it involves complicated factors, such as a multi-car collision, medical malpractice, wrongful death and/or defective products.
Depending on how all of these factors tie together, you can expect your case to take anywhere from six months to two or more years. During your initial case evaluation with among the best auto accident lawyers Peru has available, we will offer more specific guidance on how long it will take to resolve your unique case.
We will get you the compensation you deserve.
At Meyers, Flowers, Bruno & Herrmann, we understand that you are trusting us to help you and your family through an immensely difficult period, and we take that trust very seriously. As such, we work tirelessly to resolve your issues and advocate for your interests every step of the way, from pretrial preparations to settlement discussions and ultimately to the courtroom. We take the time to listen to and understand your concerns and unique needs relating to your car accident lawsuit, because we know that personal attention is one of the keys necessary to win cases.
Contact us today
It’s important to note that, in some cases, there are time limitations for filing a lawsuit for damages due to a car accident in Illinois. As such, if you have been seriously injured or lost a loved one in a motor vehicle accident, please contact among the best car accident injury lawyers Peru has to offer at Meyers, Flowers, Bruno & Herrmann to receive answers to your questions and a free and confidential case evaluation.